Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: A8 VOTT

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member aeyb701's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 11th, 2006
    Posts
    139
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Hi all:

    Relatively new here. I inquired a while ago about constructing A8 VOTT's and what components to use, and thanks for the reply.

    Searching here and on Lansing Heritage forums I find very little about that model. I have coming some N801-8ohm networks, 416-8B's, 32B's/30623's which are cast aluminum, and 802-8T's. I also have cabinet plans.

    What I don't know is can anyone tell me how they sound?

    Should I bypass that design and go whole hog for the A7-type setup with 811B or 511B horn?

    I plan on using reconditioned David Bogen 60-watt tube monoblocs (old studio amps) in a 20x15-foot room, but I love the potential for very loud, clean sound.

    Space is a factor (A8's half the depth of A7's), so the A8's appeal to me on that angle.

    Thanks for any opinions offered,

    Jon Archibald
    Peterborough, Ontario

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    HI,
    The A-8 sound's great . They had to .They were designed as the line up of Altec's VOTT.

    Your room is just the right size for those speakers. The A700-500 do sound impressive but you'll scare your neighbors off.

    I loved the sound of A-7500 in an auditorium of 400 seats all by myself for hours.But not in a small room.

    That's my .02 cents worth.


    ......................................

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    This brings back memories.

    I did severall DJ jobs with A_8 on Saturday nights
    at the campus lounge. Boy was I equiped Reko cut
    turntables.
    These speakers I are so HI fI compared to what they sell today.As some wise board member once said:"You won't find that kind of sonic quality in all the digital speakers on the market today that can't reproduce anything but condensed, proccessed, limited range,brittle,hurt my ears,generic sound "

    So back to My DJ experience . The A-8 are women
    magnets.All you have to do is play the right music.

    ..........................

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    The A8s will sound more HIFI than the A7 and if both were EQ'd to be flat in-room, most of the A7's extra eff. would be gone, so most of the differences would boil down to the different sonic signatures of the W.E. bent horn's more laid back 'sound' Vs the later Altec Lansing's 'in your face' designs. After all, the A8's horn is from one of W.E.'s studio monitor designs and the later components are 'cast in the same mold', so amount to updated W.E. designs performance wise.

    So all things considered, I recommend the A8s, the cabs aren't that expensive to build and like the A7, if the top and bottom are rolled off too much for you, then add a super tweeter and separate sub system.

    GM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.